Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Outside Reading #1

For my 4th quarter outside reading assignment I chose the book New Moon by Stephenie Meyer. I am really liking it so far, except for one thing. The thing that kind of bothers me about the main character of the story, Bella, is how she is always so negative and makes everything seem so depressing. Throughout the whole beginning of the book Bella is constantly in a bad mood. Although this does get annoying, I do understand her reasoning for some of it. The book begins with her waking up on the morning of her birthday, and she instantly starts complaining. She's distressed because it's the dreaded day she's been avoiding ever since she found out Eward's secret. It's the day she turns 18, when she officially becomes a year older than Edward. The fact that she'll never be the same age as him really stresses her out, which I understand. Edward is completely against turning her into a vampire, or "monster" as he would call it. I was thinking about it, and if I were in her situation I would definately want the same thing she does. The fact that Edward won't turn her into a vampire would make me mad too. It just dosen't make sense to me to be like 80 years old and have a 17 year old boyfriend, and knowing that I was going to die and he wouldn't would just not be an option. So obviously I understand how that puts her in a bad mood, but then later it talks about how she refuses to accept presents or any recognition that its her birthday at all from people. For instance, when Alice tries to give her a birthday present, Bella immediately refuses to accept it. I just found it really interesting that she is so against a day most people happily celebrate. Other than this though, I really like the book so far and am excited to keep reading.

No comments: